11:00 | 16.11.17 | Interviews | exclusive 88450
In August 2017 the Government of Armenia announced creation of the Digital Armenia Foundation. The objective of this agency is to form a common digital environment in all areas of governance on the basis of modern information technologies.
Itel.am talked with Eduard Nersisyan, CEO of the newly created foundation and Chief Adviser to the Prime Minister of Armenia.
- How did the Armenian government decide to create the Digital Armenia Foundation? Why was that necessary now?
- The Prime Minister came up with the idea. For the most part, it was conditioned by the necessity to create a common digital environment with latest technologies in order to increase efficiency and transparency of the governance system and improve the business environment.
The mission to organize, systematize and implement this process was given to the Digital Armenia Foundation.
In other words, this is an agency that develops a common digital strategy for Armenia’s state governance and provides services and professional assistance to the government.
Digitization isn’t a goal in itself, but a very important modern method to ensure the country’s competitiveness.
- Could you name programs where the foundation is involved?
- Currently the development of the long-term strategic document “Armenia: Digital Agenda 2030” is underway and our foundation is deeply involved in the project along with the Center for Strategic Initiatives. That agenda isn’t just a vision, but a document that will include a roadmap and a concrete schedule for 2018.
This is how we plan Armenia’s long-term digital future. We draft the way and priority programs, the implementation of which will help us fulfill our tasks efficiently.
The draft Digital Strategy will be ready until the yearend.
We have another very important function of systemizing key digital projects that are available now. The process particularly implies incorporation of electronic document and electronic signature (Mobile ID) systems in state structures, which will allow every citizen of Armenia to receive this or that service from the government by simply using mobile phone.
The European Union finances the creation of collaboration platform for public services and pilot project of “Single Window” system at Armenia’s border crossing points.
Generally, digital sector provides the toughest competition, and it is very important that Armenian digital sector develops in parallel with global trends.
- What would be the format of your cooperation with IT companies?
- We attach special importance to the active role of Armenian IT companies in this process, since they provide immense potential.
There are Armenian companies operating here, which elaborate and sell “products” to developed countries upon their order. I have recently met with representatives of several companies, which developed e-governance systems and successfully incorporated them in USA, France and other countries.
We have local companies, elaborating complex software in accordance with the international standards. This is a significant human and professional potential, which we should benefit from. We will provide all the conditions for IT companies to have their unique contribution in our programs.
- What would you consider the main achievements of the foundation in five years?
- We will provide Armenia’s transition to e-governance system in five years, which will allow 90% of Armenian population to access various electronic services.
The next important achievement would be the active role and participation of Armenian IT companies in the development programs of the sector.
Another important achievement would be more convenient, comprehensive and accessible electronic services, provided by the Armenian government.
And finally, we will be able to form a competitive and unique digital ecosystem in Armenia.
Narine Daneghyan talked to Eduard Nersisyan
17:39 | 11.01.23 | Articles
Armenian Essemem.com will try to compete with Canva and Adobe
15:18 | 16.09.22 | Articles
11:31 | 06.02.18 | Armenia Startup Academy
08:10 | 04.07.16 | Girls in Tech
06:17 | 29.06.16 | IT Teens